#TRENDING: Importance of Wire Labeling
One of our clients had a network issue last week and needed to put in a temporary router for the night until we could get there in the morning. Since we make it a point to label all of the wires in our clients home, this made switching out the equipment for the homeowner, quick and easy. However, this is rarely the case when it comes to wiring as a lot of technicians and electricians just pull, terminate and leave.
We believe that when tackling a home entertainment, home network, or other projects that involve wires and cabling, it is very important to label your wiring. This allows you to quickly identify a cable and its purpose in case of service or troubleshooting.
Here are some great tips on how to label your home system wires:
- Invest in a good label maker. Dymo is a good brand.
- Anything is better than nothing. Use white electrical tape and a black felt marker.
- Label the wire based on its function and use. Example: HDMI out to TV or Xbox Network.
- Label everything, even power cables. Nothing worse than trying to find a power cable plugged into a power bar where all cables look the same.
- Labeling takes seconds. Saves frustration
It’s the little things that make a big difference and in the case of our homeowner last week, labeled wires led to a quick and easy fix.